Monday, September 25, 2006

TV Appearance


Tuesday night at 9pm I will be featured on a show entitled "Bridging the Racial Divide" on Detroit Public Television. The show is a brainchild of Emery King and Paul W. Smith who have been working with issues of race and race relations for years in Metro Detroit.

The show is based on two dinner conversations that Kingberry Productions arranged. The dinners featured conversations around race and metro issues but were divided into a "Black" dinner and a "White" dinner. Last week, Rochelle Riley (columnist, Detroit Free Press), Heaster Wheeler (Executive Director, NAACP-Detroit), Nolan Finley (columnist, Detroit News), John Rakolta (Chairman, New Detroit), Kary Moss (Executive Director, ACLU-Michigan, and I sat on a panel to discuss the dinner conversations and debate a little. I think the discussion was good overall, a little short, but that's the nature of the beast. If nothing else, tune in to see if I embarrass myself ;)

In Ann Arbor it will air on channel 6 at 9pm.
In Detroit it will air on channel 56 at 9pm.
And for the radio heads it will be simulcast on 760 WJRam.

4 comments:

Dance_Soul said...

cool beans - make sure you tape it.

D. Betts said...

not a bad convo. The Detroit news guy had some legit points in regard to politicians exploiting the racial climate of the area.

I wish someone would have said something about normalization. This may just be a personal opinion, but I feel the normalized identities of Black youth conditions responses to instances of bias and lack of resources, thus exacerbating the issues in education and segments of society. Ah well, maybe next time

Dumi said...

M, taped it, trying to get a dvd of it.

David, I'm not sure I understand your point about normalization.

Dance_Soul said...

Hey - did I ever tell you that I was "M?" Anyhoo - I'd sure like and UPDATE one day soon. :P